Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:26:33 -0800
From: Jeremi Gosney <epixoip@...dshell.nl>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: CUDA formats

On 1/21/2014 10:39 AM, magnum wrote:
> On 2014-01-21 18:36, Muhammad Junaid Muzammil wrote:
>> Regarding the Nvidia vs AMD comparison, 2 of the world's most powerful
>> supercomputers consists of Nvidia devices where as there isn't any AMD
>> machine in it (http://www.top500.org/lists/2013/11/). With Nvidia
>> investing
>> a lot in academia with its CUDA programs, atleast I don't see an end
>> to it.
>> But who knows, may be my predictions prove wrong.
>
> @epixoip mentioned on hc forums that Seoul National University have a
> cluster on some top 500 list, consisting of 224 x AMD 7970 devices
> running SnuCL. I can't find it in the list you link to, so maybe it
> was some other top 500.

Several AMD-powered supercomputers have made the Top500 and Green500
list, Chundoong[1] is just one of them. But a new list comes out every
June/November, and the supercomputing world is very competitive, so if
you are in the bottom half of the list and do not improve your cluster
in the next 5-7 months, you may not make the next list. So, while
Chundoong debuted at #277, it was bumped off the list last November. But
there is also SANAM[2], which is currently #59 on the Top500.

But this does not matter. The supercomputers on the Top500 have nothing
to do with password cracking. Sure, Nvidia is great for scientific
applications, or really anywhere where double precision matters. But the
plain and simple truth is that Nvidia hardware sucks for password
cracking. It does not make much sense to invest time in developing
password cracking software specifically for Nvidia when the performance
just isn't there.

- epixoip

1. http://aces.snu.ac.kr/Center_for_Manycore_Programming/Chundoong.html
2. http://www.top500.org/system/177996