Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 16:08:42 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CUDA multi-device support

On 2014-01-12 14:16, Jeremi Gosney wrote:
> On 1/12/2014 1:25 AM, Muhammad Junaid Muzammil wrote:
>> Currently we have set MAX_GPU limit as 8 in both openCL and CUDA
>> variants. What was the reason behind it? Currently, both AMD crossfire
>> and NVIDIA SLI supports a maximum of 4 GPU devices.
>
> This is not very sound logic, as one does not use Crossfire nor SLI for
> GPGPU. In fact, this technology usually must be disabled for compute
> work. fglrx supports a maximum of 8 devices, and afaik nvidia supports
> 16 devices, if not more. So 16 would likely be a more sane value.

Right. And that's local ones. With VCL/SnuCL/DistCL you can have a lot
more so oclHashcat supports 128 devices.

I intend to add a file ```common-gpu.[hc]``` for shared stuff between
CUDA and OpenCL, eg. temperature monitoring. When I do that I will merge
MAX_CUDA_DEVICES and MAX_OPENCL_DEVICES to one same MAX_GPU_DEVICES so
they'll always be the same. And I'll probably set it as 128.

magnum