Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 07:18:43 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Should several more hash formats be changed from using
 hex to base64 before releasing unstable and bleeding?

On 2014-01-09 00:41, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> The only format with extra long hashes using base64 is wpapsk.
> OK, these are longer than 2000 characters even with base64 encoding. Due
> to a huge number of '.' characters, we could probably make the hashes
> smaller by adding compression;)

We use the .hccap format HashCat introduced, so we can't change it. At
least all those dots make it somewhat readable compared to the same
amount of hex data.

I like using hex for hashes but I think we should always use Base64 for
data longer than, say, 2048 bits/512 bytes for new formats. Changing old
formats is less important and no RoI.

magnum