Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:10:06 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenCL vectorizing how-to.

On 2013-10-22 04:08, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 2013/10/21 magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>:
>> One thing I can't understand is why pre-vectorized code with the correct
>> width is not used "as-is" by these compilers. Apparently the compiler first
>> scalarizes it and then re-vectorizes it - with very poor results, at least
>> on Well. OTOH this isn't a problem now that we can supply the requested
>> [lack of] width.
>
> "(...)We're likely to generate better code(...)" :)
>
> I guess better is not necessarily faster :)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QsoLyvvhRuc#t=853

Thanks, that was interesting. He did not fully answer my question
though. If I supply a kernel with the native width of the device, they
could compile it to eg. AVX2 or AVX512 instructions right away with no
added execution masks or other overhead. In some cases even the key
buffer as supplied from host code can be vectorized (and we could do the
same with the output buffer) - but if they ask me for scalar code they
will obviously get a scalar buffer so the end result will be
unnecessarily complicated vectorized code dealing with that. This
particular case is not currently affecting any inner loop though.

I think auto-vectorizing is a really great thing but I can't see why
they refuse to use pre-vectorized code as supplied. Apparently the
assumption is that noone vectorizes (or should vectorize) for
performance, only for the problem domain, as he puts it at ~15:05. Maybe
in the long run they are right. Or maybe future versions of their
optimizers will be able to analyze pre-vectorized code and decide
whether it could be used without "re-vectorizing".

magnum