Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 21:33:47 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: OpenCL vectorizing how-to.

On 2013-10-19 00:42, magnum wrote:
> I'm looking forward to see how eg. wpapsk-opencl performs now on the
> Xeon Phi. Unless its driver rather auto-vectorizes of course :-/

While doing a more or less unrelated search on coalescing I stumbled
upon this:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-design-and-programming-guide-for-the-intel-xeon-phi-coprocessor

Xeon Phi's compiler indeed wants scalar code. BTW I thought only some
models of Xeon Phi were 512-bit width but this paper seem to indicate
they all are (but may be wider in future).

One thing I can't understand is why pre-vectorized code with the correct
width is not used "as-is" by these compilers. Apparently the compiler
first scalarizes it and then re-vectorizes it - with very poor results,
at least on Well. OTOH this isn't a problem now that we can supply the
requested [lack of] width.

magnum