Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 00:48:26 +0100
From: Dániel Bali <balijanosdaniel@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Daniel's weekly report #15

Hello!

By now the patched ELF doesn't freeze the GPU, but it runs with errors. I
get the following error:

daniel@...l:~/JohnTheRipper/run$ ./john -test --format=crc32-opencl
-devices=1
Device 1: Tahiti (AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series)
Local worksize (LWS) 128, global worksize (GWS) 16777216
Benchmarking: crc32-opencl, CRC32 [OpenCL (inefficient, development use
only)]... Warning: binary() returned misaligned pointer
FAILED (cmp_all(1))

Here is the two hex values that are compared in cmp_all:
7ada0bcc, 6e65706f

My previous error was forgetting to update numVGPR and numSGPR in the
binary. I'm not sure what causes the current error. I used the
KernelAnalyzer to produce the assembly from the correctly working OpenCL
kernel.
I'll be in touch.

Regards,
Daniel

2013/9/27 Dániel Bali <balijanosdaniel@...il.com>

> Hello!
>

> 2013/9/26 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
>>
>> As far as I can tell, "bull" was automatically rebooted by one of our
>> watchdogs.  After the reboot, attempts to use the 7970 card work fine.
>

> Sorry about that then, I must have missed the reboot.
>
> I don't have many ideas about what to try next. One idea is to test if the
> patching works without JtR. This would mean setting up a minimal host-side
> environment that passes the correct buffers and compares the output to the
> required results. My other idea would be to change the tests in the format
> to check for a single value (0xaaaaaaaa), then make a kernel that does
> something different and patch it with this simple assembly code.
>
> I'll try these, but if anybody has a better idea please let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

Content of type "text/html" skipped