Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:59:37 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: External node distribution (call for help)

On 2013-09-26 04:30, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 04:14:19AM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> I mean, can I assume that I am at
>> the start of a full "their_words" block after resuming?
>
> In an equivalent of the "if" branch that you extracted the above comment
> from, yes.
>
>> How/why is that?
>> I can't see why that would be a safe assumption. A fix_state() seems to
>> happen right before a clear_keys and if "we" are several nodes (as in
>> -node:1-7/10) that could be in the middle of my_words.
>
> The "We assume ..." comment is located inside an "if".  The special case
> that you mention here is the "else" after that "if".  That case is
> handled as well, and you may handle it in a similar fashion in external
> mode.

Right, thanks! There was some odd race condition in my head. I tried to
get rid of a proper "seq" but then I realized I had to keep it anyway in
order to maintain session file compatibility in both directions. This
also means wrapping is not an issue.

I'm applying it to bleeding now. Here's a patch against core, pretty
clean and fairly well tested[tm]. Feel free to use it - you wrote the
better part of it %-)

magnum

View attachment "john-1.8.0-external-node-dist.diff" of type "text/plain" (1935 bytes)