Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 03:48:31 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Daniel's reports #13, #14

Daniel,

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 12:22:26AM +0100, D?niel Bali wrote:
> Oh, and the reason that I did not have enough time lately was that I had to
> move to Lisbon for my master's course.
> My schedule seems to be fairly regular from next week so I will be able to
> allocate some time.

Here's a simple task for you: please make a numbered release of gcnasm,
in a tarball like gcnasm-0.1.tar.gz that you'll upload to our wiki.  It
should include some brief documentation inside it, as well as links to
the corresponding wiki page and to your GitHub repository.

> 2013/9/19 D?niel Bali <balijanosdaniel@...il.com>
> > I'm sorry for not writing status reports lately. I now realize it might
> > have looked like I didn't care about my project. I was really ashamed about
> > not making any progress/not having sufficient time.

Understood.  I hope Lukas explained to you that you should have been
posting the weekly reports anyway, even if you had no progress to report.

> > I will be trying to get the CRC32 kernel working with gcnasm.

Yes, please - but please make the gcnasm release first.  In general,
both of these tasks - gcnasm release and a working CRC-32 JtR format
written using gcnasm - are intended to let someone else conveniently
continue with the project, whether along with you or on their own.
As such, your completion of these tasks adds much value to the code
you've written during the summer.

> > Here is the current version:
> > https://gist.github.com/balidani/079634dae9b993fa6f8b
> > With this test kernel:
> > https://gist.github.com/balidani/13f8520b0bcbfdf2584b
> >
> > CRC32 will only have 8 as ciphertext length, but even with 16 it fails. I
> > get the error:
> > "FAILED (get_hash[4](0))" - but when I print what the corresponding hash
> > is it's 0xaaaaaaaa as expected.
> >
> > I'll try to debug this and get it working with 8 as the ciphertext length.

After a couple of minutes of staring at your code^Whack, I think I see
the bug: you set BINARY_SIZE to 2, whereas it should be 4 (or even 8, if
you're for some totally weird reason experimenting with 64-bit hash
values for now, even though CRC-32 will only use 32-bit).

Alexander