Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 03:55:39 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: dominosec optimization

Rafael,

This is the easy optimization task I had mentioned:

The DOMINOSEC_fmt_plug.c source file in bleeding-jumbo is in need of
some optimizations.  Also, it should have proper *_binary_hash() and
*_get_hash() functions added, and the effect from this needs to be
tested on loading and cracking of a test file with millions of hashes of
this type (you'll need to generate some fake ones, of correct format).

For the kind of optimizations you can make, see:

git show 57a0e272bbba7187b3240c9c605281100b97515f lotus5_fmt_plug.c

Basically, I made the optimizations to lotus5_fmt_plug.c, but not yet to
DOMINOSEC_fmt_plug.c, even though these two are similar.

In particular, in lotus5_fmt_plug.c I introduced 2x interleaving, as
needed to make use of the higher instruction issue rate that modern CPUs
are capable of (multiple instructions per cycle per core, beyond the
amount of instruction-level parallelism that the non-interleaved code had).

Of course, both of these source files are rather dirty, just like most
of jumbo is...  It'd be nice if you make some cleanups to
DOMINOSEC_fmt_plug.c while you work on it.  A rewrite of this file from
scratch would be even better - but only if you can make it much cleaner.

Thanks,

Alexander