Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 03:35:34 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Sayantan's Weekly Report #13

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 01:28:52AM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 09/09/2013 07:21 PM, magnum wrote:
> > A compromise would be to use smaller consecutive ranges within a mask: ?a could be defined as eg. [0-9a-zA-Z -/ :-@[-`{-~] but maybe you can't take advantage of them being just "partly" consecutive?
>
> Am I missing something obvious here? Apparently, in mask mode ?a means
> "any ASCII character", while in doc/RULES ?a means letters [a-zA-Z], ?y
> means "all valid characters" (whatever that means), and ?z matches all
> characters.
>
> I think reusing character class names defined in doc/RULES +
> [UserClasses] defined in john.conf (?0 - ?9) for mask mode would be a
> good idea.

I'd agree, but unfortunately we would be incompatible with hashcat's
masks then.  BTW, I thought that InsidePro and hashcat used mostly the
same mask mode characters, with the same meaning, but this appears not
to be the case:

http://www.insidepro.com/eng/saminside.shtml

"The application uses the following masks:
        ?  any printable character (ASCII-codes 32...255).
        A  any upper-case Latin character (A...Z).
        a  any lower-case small Latin (a...z).
        S  any special character (!@....).
        N  any number (0...9).
        1...8  any character from a custom character set; you may define
up to 8 custom sets."

Weird stuff.  More links to info on InsidePro and hashcat masks:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2013/06/13/1

Alexander