Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 11:47:49 +0200
From: Katja Malvoni <kmalvoni@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ZedBoard / Parallella: bcrypt

Hello,

I have implementation of bcrypt's most costly loop and behavioral
simulation gives correct results. But when I put it in user part of IP core
generated by Create and import peripheral wizard it produces incorrect
result (code is attached, user_logic.v).
And I can't figure out why. If I write something to block RAM from PL, host
reads correct data. If I don't modify the contents of memory, host reads
the same unmodified data. If PL reads data from one location in block RAM
and writes to another one, host reads expected value. My guess was that
there is a problem with reading/writing to block RAM from PL but when there
is no computation implemented in logic but only reads and writes it works
as expected. Does anyone have an idea how to debug this?
Changing portions of code to see what would happen isn't practical because
bitstream generation takes 20 minutes.

Current implementation is attached (bcrypt_loop.v) and it's too slow -
7652913 clock cycles for cost 5. It comes mainly from memory latency. 3
cycles are needed for a read from memory. And I can use only one port
because the other one is used by DMA. When I used Create and import
peripheral wizard to generate IP core, I chose AXI interface. From this
guide:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/axi_ref_guide/latest/ug761_axi_reference_guide.pdfI
got impression that there is some memory I can use and it comes as a
part
of the IP. I need to read the user guide more carefully to figure out how
to use AXI interface and experiment with that memory.

Katja

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "bcrypt_loop.v" of type "application/octet-stream" (7710 bytes)