Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 07:32:03 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mask mode integration with bleeding.

On 10 Aug, 2013, at 5:30 , Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 12:22 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
>> Will you revert your problematic commits that are now present in bleeding-jumbo or should I do it? We need to do this *now* before things diverge out of control. Actually, I think you should do this:
>>
>> 1. revert each problematic commit from bleeding-jumbo
>> 2. merge bleeding-jumbo into bleeding-mask
>> 3. cherry-pick the same commits to bleeding-mask so they now appear only in that branch.
>>
>> From that point on, we'll be able to merge anything from bleeding-jumbo into bleeding-mask with little problems even though the branches will diverge.
>>
>> If you don't feel confident with this I can do it for you. Just hold off from committing anything for now and supply me a list of the commits to revert (in short hash form, eg. 0965d1a). Or should I revert any commits you have made from a certain date/time on?
>
> Thank you. Here's the list but as you said I want them to be in bleeding-mask. Also I haven't included any core changes that I have made in bleeding-jumbo to the list, most likely they won't cause any problems.
>
> 6c0d209
> 8e2043e
> 70b1148
> d6cd0fe
> a4f7e0e
> 189fe11
> c94ab2f
> 74d8657
> c63b018
> cfa8001
> 5f10770
> ea91365
> 3f35abf
> dfdbc59
> 1a867bd
> e258bb8
> f934f43e

I ended up with a slightly different list (excluding 5f10770 and including some others). Also, I committed Solar's original mask mode patch to bleeding-jumbo and reverted some of your strange changes to it that I can't see any need for (as noted in https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/commit/0965d1a42355b4fa4c48b12adcb858a86bb8dce5#commitcomment-3819857). I then re-added your mask mode commit to bleeding-mask only. Now "git blame" will show which lines are Solar's and which are yours.

Hopefully all is OK now but this was a brutal operation so there may be collateral damage.

magnum