Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 18:54:09 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Sayantan's Weekly Report #7

Accomplishment:
- Added wordlist mode with mask mode.
- 5-formats(nt, raw-md5, raw-md4, raw-sha1, mscash) can use wordlist + mask
mode.
- Participated in contest, found out some real world problems.
e.g descrypt had a bug in which regenerated passwords for positive matches
were wrong. Fixed during the contest. descrypt-opencl was the most usable
format among the new mask formats.
      new fast hashes are fast only for fewer loaded hashes. For thousands
of loaded hashes they are utterly slow and equivalent to multi-core cpus at
best.

Priorities:
- Currently descrypt format is in a complicated state, sometimes I couldn't
understand what/why I had done certain things the way I had done in the
format. So un-complicate things as much as possible so that it easier for
others and me to debug and understand the code later.
- Start merging mask mode with main bleeding.

Priorities for second half of GSoC:
 - Instead of adding new formats(which is relatively easy once you know how
to do it and probably others can do it too), I'd be focusing on optimizing
the 5 new formats(except descrypt) which are utterly slow in real world
scenarios. Only descrypt performed as expected during the contest.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped