Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 18:57:23 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: mask mode issues

On 28 Jul, 2013, at 3:47 , Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com> wrote:
> 2013/7/27 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>:
>> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 11:58:53AM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
>>> ukasz@...l:$ ./john -mask='?a?a?a' crackme -format=raw-md5-opencl
>>
>> What's wrong with this mask?  Why did you call it "invalid"?
>
> I thought that '?' can be combined with l,u,d only.
> It would be nice to have some doc draft before cmiyc.
> As far as I know john's mode is not fully compatibile with hashcat's.
> Correct me if I am wrong.

HashCat Built-in charsets

• ?l = abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
• ?u = ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
• ?d = 0123456789
• ?h = 8 bit characters from 0xc0 - 0xff
• ?D = 8 bit characters from german alphabet
• ?F = 8 bit characters from french alphabet
• ?R = 8 bit characters from russian alphabet
• ?a = ?l?u?d?s

The "8 bit characters from ..." are poorly documented.

magnum