Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:24:27 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cryptocurrency mining fallback in JtR

Rafael, Lukas -

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 04:38:01AM +0200, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 2013/7/18 Rafael Waldo Delgado Doblas <lord.rafa@...il.com>:
> > Hello, this is the link to my JtR fork,
> > https://github.com/LordRafa/JohnTheRipper
>
> Rafael I took a look at your commits and here are my comments.
>
> Commit 04056a2c1f aka "added modules cgminer and dtach" adds 138k
> lines of code. I am affraid that this kind of "integration" in
> unacceptable and for sure we will not merge this change to
> bleeding-jumbo. I guess you need to have those sources inside john's
> src but it would be much better to add a script that downloads them
> from github.

Rafael - please don't make any changes to address Lukas' suggestion
above yet.  We need to discuss first.  Meanwhile, I assume that you
proceed with work on other aspects of this task (including other issues
Lukas brought up) and on the Litecoin mining on Parallella task.

Lukas - like I said, we need to discuss.  I think getting those 138k
lines in is not necessarily worse than the alternative you propose.
These approaches have their pros and cons, and I admit that the whole
idea of having this functionality in JtR is questionable (yet we're
experimenting with it).

Alexander