Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 13:20:13 +0200
From: marcus.desto <marcus.desto@...pl>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Amount of GPGPUs

Hello,

As far as I recodnized some of you are very experienced accourding to run/config multi GPU systems.

So, I would like to know something.

Is it possible to run 4x (or more) Sandwitch GPUs (2 GPU per device) on one board (without crossfire oder sli them)?

I experienced the failure of a expensive motherboard (3x PCIe 16x v2) with nvidia 790 chipset running 3x Sandwich GPUs on one board. The system did not even power on - the power supply was alright, the board just failed operation, because amount of gpu seemed to be exceeded. It also failed to power on with 2x Sandwich GPU and 1x single GPU (5 GPUs at all). It was possible to run 2x Sandwichcards (4 GPUs) or 3 single GPU devices, but since I tried more than 4 GPUs it failed to operate - even I added a second 1500W PSU.

I think it was a chipset issue, since I heard some board with intel chipset did support that configuration.

Regards,
Marcus