Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 06:28:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Parallella: bcrypt

Katja,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:42:53PM +0200, Katja Malvoni wrote:
> I made use of dual-issue, the speed I'm getting is 976 c/s when compiling
> Epiphany code with -O2. If I compile with -O3 I get 979 c/s. But compiling
> with -O3 has negative impact on e-gcc generated code, speed drops to 875
> c/s.
> Code is in https://github.com/kmalvoni/JohnTheRipper/tree/master

I checked out, built, and tried to test this version of code.  The first
hurdle was the 2 vs. 6 size BF_binary discrepancy.  Because of it, the
program would just get stuck all the time.  Once I fixed it in my copy
of parallella_bf_fmt.c, I am getting:

solar@...aro-ubuntu-desktop:~/2/JohnTheRipper/run$ ./parallella_john.sh -te -form=bcrypt-parallella
Benchmarking: bcrypt-parallella, OpenBSD Blowfish ("$2a$05", 32 iterations) [Parallella]... DONE
Raw:    865 c/s real, 865 c/s virtual

... which is much less than what you said it would be.

So perhaps you forgot to commit multiple changes?

Alexander