Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 20:31:59 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: md5 hash comparisons

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 10:22:31AM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> Currently there are 2x2KB bitmaps

Why did you choose these specific numbers?  e.g. myrice chose 4x 8 KB
instead.  Are you trying to support devices where we can't afford 32 KB?

> Regarding bitmap in global memory, even
> though it allows us to uniquely identify all hashes using 4*512MB bitmaps

Does it?  I guess you did not mean it literally, since all of those
things are probabilistic.  We can only have a very good chance, not
certainty.

> but one major drawback with bitmaps is that it turns sequential search into
> random access which will most likely cause bank conflicts and lower
> performance. I tried one 256MB bitmap in the md5 kernel but the performance
> wasn't good. For large number of hashes the hashtable  approach might be
> better.

My understanding is that any global memory access involves loading an
entire cache line.  So, yes, accessing just one bit is highly
non-optimal: we need 1 bit, but we get e.g. 64 bytes read into the chip
instead.  However, we can't really do better (if we check just one
computed hash value and we've already made optimal use of local memory
if we could): even if with some other algorithm we do need those e.g. 64
bytes, we still incur the same performance hit of one global memory
access.  I'd expect significant performance difference if the (average)
number of random accesses differs between algorithms.  If our one bitmap
lookup lets us reject the computed hash value almost all of the time,
there's not much to be gained by using another data structure and
algorithm.  However, if there is a significant percentage of cases where
further checks are needed, then another data structure and algorithm may
in fact help.

What exactly do you mean by "performance wasn't good" - specific speed
numbers for this approach and for whatever you're comparing it against?

Here's a crazy idea:

Can we somehow check multiple computed hashes with one global memory
lookup?  e.g. if we could buffer computed hashes and group them by their
required index into a global memory bitmap (or hash table or whatever),
then eventually we could have two or more bits to check within the same
cache line (to be read from global memory at that time).  The buffering
even to global memory could be pretty fast if it's sequential, however
in that case we would not be able to easily group the computed hashes
like we need to, and reading the relevant hashes back from global memory
would defeat the purpose of us reducing the number of global memory
bitmap lookups.  So we'd have to buffer/group in local memory, which
would likely make this impractical for most settings (there's not enough
local memory to achieve such grouping for reasonably large global memory
bitmaps).

Can you simply take a look at and experiment with Multiforcer, with
large loaded hash counts?  According to Bitweasil, it handles this well.

Here's another thought:

While we need to support these high loaded hash counts efficiently,
we're unlikely to see them in the upcoming contest. ;-)  In this
context, it'd make more sense for you to spend the following week
focusing on making mask mode available and work reliably and with proper
speed reporting, for more of the formats - and maybe also in combination
with other cracking modes (especially wordlist).  Besides descrypt and
raw MD5, it'd be nice to also have it for NTLM, MSCash (DCC), raw SHA-1,
and raw MD4.  Also, it'd be nice if your mask mode addition doesn't
break any of the existing JtR functionality - I think the way you hacked
it in currently does break other features.

Can you bring your mask mode on GPU stuff to a practically usable form
before the contest?

Thanks,

Alexander