Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 22:02:37 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: md5 hash comparisons

Hi Alexander,

How many bits or bytes are necessary to uniquely identify md5 hash ? I know
4 bytes aren't enough and causes many false positives to pass
through. Although 8 bytes seems to be enough but I'm not sure.  Also how
many hashes are loaded simultaneously for cracking ? I expect 1000 - 2000 ,
is that assumption enough ? Depending upon the the number of bytes required
for comparisons I might be able to increase the loaded hash count.

Will it produce any false positives if I chose 0, 4, 8, 12 th bytes only
for hash comparisons.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped