Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 00:27:18 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: md5 hash comparisons

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com> wrote:

> I saw the bitmap code, fundamental idea seems to be translation of a bit
> based on hash value. Instead of searching exact values, we do a lookup for
> a bit value in the bitmap. It seems to reduce memory use a lot which is
> really great.

But does this really help filtering out most hashes ? By most hahses I mean
at least more than 90% otherwise we may not see desired
performance benefits due to extra branching and extra code.

Also 64K loaded hahses seems to fit well within local memory using bitmaps
but 16M wont fit into local memory even with bitmaps. However chances of
rejection is higher with 16M bitmap.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped