Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 04:33:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Parallella: bcrypt

Hi Katja,

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:24:20AM +0200, Katja Malvoni wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > Somehow printing of the status line on keypress does not work when
> > running the bcrypt-parallella format.  Why is that?  Can you fix it?
> > [...]
>
> I looked at this and in tty_getchar() key press is never detected so
> event_status is never set to 1. After cracking finishes all characters
> appear in command line. In tty_init() "if (tcgetpgrp(fd) != getpid())" is
> true and fd is closed so nothing is read in tty_getchar().

Oh, this must be a consequence of us running via sudo, as we sort of
have to in order to access Epiphany.  I think if you "sudo bash" and
then "su -" and run john from this logged-in-as-root session, the
problem will go away.

Unfortunately, I don't recall the rationale behind this "tcgetpgrp(fd) !=
getpid()" check - namely, what would be wrong with this check omitted.
Can you try removing it and see what happens?

Alexander