Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 11:53:31 -0300
From: Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bug: GPU use in CPU-only formats

> Strange. I'll have a look. I have noticed that my laptop switches from HD4000 to GT650M even when running non-GPU formats but I thought that was due to some fuzzy logic (with earlier drivers I think such switching was actually made mostly or solely from a whitelist).

The memory allocation makes sense. Two GPU 'pointers' are initialized
during startup and not released until exit.
Ok, it is possible to get all the OpenCL information needed (e.g. to
parse the -dev option) and release everything GPU related. After that,
reopen GPU stuff during init() only when needed.  As it is now, every
OpenCL enabled build could cause drivers to keep some memory allocated
while JtR is running, even a non-GPU format

BUT: no real GPU memory allocation is done inside common code. Neither
code execution. So, ghosts and busy devices could not happen.

Claudio

Content of type "text/html" skipped