Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:24:56 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new dev box wishes (was: Contest)

On 26 Jun, 2013, at 13:08 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 03:04:50PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:43:28PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>>> I'm sceptic to overclocking in general and for development in particular. I can only see significant downsides.
>>
>> OK, although card vendor's overclocking is a bit different

Maybe in terms of warranty and reliability but the extra MHz does not come cheap in terms of power usage and heat. OTOH Bull's GPU usage has been very sporadic so far when looking at it over time so maybe this doesn't matter. I just don't see any benefit for development.

> Besides, with all recent cards having boost speeds, the point in sticking
> with stock clocks is moot.  e.g. we're "lucky" to have the original 7970
> in bull, but modern 7970's all have boost, so clock rates vary.

If it's settable and doesn't come with a hefty price tag, by all means pick one that supports OC - you could leave it at stock (or just lower than max) clocks when we're not participating in a contest.

magnum