Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 04:50:09 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mask mode for GPU

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 07:30:34PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> I had hybrid attack (http://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=hybrid_attack) in mind but I think we can enhance it: A really flexible solution would be using eg. the ?w mask for representing the original word (from another mode, eg. wordlist). So using HashCat's example, this wordlist:
>
> password
> hello
>
> and this command-line:
>
> ./john -wordlist:file -mask=?w?d?d?d?d
>
> ...would generate the password0000..hello9999 candidates. We could also use eg. -mask=?d?d?w?d?d which is not supported by HashCat's hybrid mode.

I like the proposed syntax, but given that ?w corresponds to a
variable-length portion this means that our set_mask() interface needs
to allow for specifying of character positions relative to the current
length of the host-provided portion.  I guess that's fine - we'll just
need to support it.

Alexander