Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 13:10:30 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: limits within mscash2

Changing the opencl_mscash2 format to allow for salts (user names) longer than 19 bytes will take more work.  Ideally, this would be done 'prior' to jumping into GPU code.  The salt is ONLY used on iteration #0.  This iteration really should be pulled back into the crypt_all function, likely done right after the DCC function, but before calling the pbkdf2. Then instead of providing the salt to the pbkdf2 function, the 'results' of iteration 0 would be provided.  Thus, in the gpu code, iterations 1 to 10240 would be done (but not the first). This will have no impact on overall speed,  AND will keep the GPU code faster, only doing 1 block sha1's, BUT allow multiple block SHA1 code for that very first iteration where the salt value is used.

Jim.