Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 06:20:37 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: FPGA reprogramming on ZedBoard / Parallella board

Katja, Rafael, Stephen -

It turns out that it is actually trivial and quick to replace the FPGA
bitstream off the booted up Linux or FreeBSD system on ZedBoard.  Here
are my recent tweets on this:

<solardiz> To load FPGA bitstream off live Linux on ZedBoard: "mknod
/dev/xdevcfg c 259 0", then "cat" into it (takes 85 ms for 4 Mbytes)
@jangray

<solardiz> I've just extracted the bitstreams out of Parallella
project's BOOT.BIN and ZedBoard's default SD card image BOOT.BIN with
"dd" ...

<solardiz> ... tried swapping the two on live Linux system - works
like a charm. Here's where this turns out to be documented:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/46913.html

<solardiz> FreeBSD for ZedBoard
http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-arm&m=136201029232177
http://www.thomasskibo.com/zedbsd/ with FPGA reprogramming via
/dev/devcfg0 http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-arm&m=136206433415819

<solardiz> Just noticed that @PicoComputing now has a Zynq 7020
board too: http://picocomputing.com/e-series/e-102

Unfortunately, loading an erroneous bitstream makes the system
inaccessible at least over Ethernet - so we'd need to be careful.
(A simple power-cycle brings the system back.)

Alexander