Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 22:08:40 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: sha3-opencl

Daniel,
before we move on to GCN low level programming.
We should work this out earlier, but it is not too late.
I would be happy if you could show us some coding skills by creating
new format for JtR.
1) It should be something simple that won't eat much of your time - I
guess a week is enough.
2) You should get the idea how JtR works, and how formats works.
3) You should get used to some of the existing opencl code that is
common for all formats.
4) This is important for JtR development, and you will need that
knowledge sooner or later.

Please try to create a new format sha3-opencl for JtR.
To do so you need to implement in a separate file fmt_main struct.
Some basic "documentation" you can find in formats.h/c.

Speed is not very important, this task is just make you feel
comfortable with john's source.
As an example you might take a look at: opencl_zip_fmt.c or any other
opencl_*fmt.c (magnum's should be the best to look at).
When you will have any questions feel free to ask.

Basic way to test you format is ./john -test -format=sha3-opencl
If you're not sure how fmt_main works take a look at testing procedure
it should help to spot the idea.

Lukas