Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:13:52 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: pre-commit hooks (was: Unify internal form of
 mscash2 hashes?)

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:56 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 May, 2013, at 23:44 , Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM, Frank Dittrich <
> frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> >> You might want to experiment with a pre-commit hook that automatically
> >> removes trailing whitespace or spaces before tabs in a *non-public*
> >> repo, and if it turns out to work without unwanted side effects, enable
> >> that pre-comkmit hook in the public repo.
> >>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/591923/make-git-automatically-remove-trailing-whitespace-before-committing
> >>
> >> https://gist.github.com/nomadcoder/663933
> >
> > Works great but there is one problem. It can't remove trailing white
> spaces from multiple files simultaneously.
>
> Which of them all? None of them works as described, I see different
> problems with all of them. Even after fixing that, there would be one
> SERIOUS problem left. Consider the following:
>
> 1. You made lots of edits
> 2. You selectively stage SOME of the edits (eg. only some changes to a
> certain file because you want to stage other changes to a different commit)
> 3. Commit.
>
> Every single one of the example hooks described will re-add ALL of the
> file after fixing trailing spaces, as opposed to the selectively staged
> parts. This is absolutely not the wanted behavior, especially if this
> happens silently. This is a total blocker - forget about all of them.
>
> A 100% working, safe, hook script is very very tricky to come up with,
> especially if you want it compatible with different flavors of sed et al.
> It's a far better solution IMHO to teach your editor to do the right thing.
>
> magnum

I was partially wrong about the hook not working on multiple files but
still the hook is far from perfect. I didn't edit much and used the 2nd one
which had a minor error.  I am attaching the script.  The script works only
if I follow certain steps:
1. Modify the files and deliberately add trailing white space to any line.
Hook doesn't detect any white space in a file unless an extra white space
is added to the file before staging them.
2. Do git add -A
3. Do git commit (pre-commit hook should eliminate all trailing white
spaces from all modified files)
4. Again do git add -A (stage the files with no trailing white spaces)
5. Do git commit --no-verify (byepass the hook)

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "pre-commit" of type "application/octet-stream" (737 bytes)