Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 21:12:36 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Parallella: bcrypt

Katja -

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 08:57:52PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 06:45:26PM +0200, Katja Malvoni wrote:
> > I tried to reuse the existing Openwall bcrypt implementation since
> > parallella supports C. I first tried the simplest approach, load whole
> > bcrypt implementation onto the core and execute. The problem is:
> > core_test.elf section `.text' will not fit in region `INTERNAL_RAM'
> > region `INTERNAL_RAM' overflowed by 6528 bytes
>
> Note that you do not have to put the entire bcrypt onto Epiphany.
[...]
> (implementing just the main loop instead of the entire bcrypt on
> Epiphany) should reduce code size to put on Epiphany by a factor of 3.

A possibly simpler and possibly better option, especially given the
approach you've taken so far, may be to put a size-optimized
implementation of entire bcrypt on Epiphany.  Here is a revision of
crypt_blowfish that we made for musl libc:

http://git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/src/crypt/crypt_blowfish.c

IIRC, it's under 8 KB of code on x86.

musl itself (including the crypt_blowfish revision in it) may be
downloaded here:

http://www.musl-libc.org/download.html

I think you'll need to implement both approaches and compare the
resulting performance eventually, but you may start with either.

Alexander