Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 19:32:00 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --fork under Cygwin

Rich,

On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 11:16:21AM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> What I've found so far, is that the Cygwin1.dll(1.7.9)  that is currently
> distributed with John does "behave" a bit better than 1.7.17, 1.7.18 -
> meaning it doesn't exhibit the "hang" others do, processes spawn and do not
> work = "hang".

OK, for your further testing please use only the older cygwin1.dll from
JtR distribution.

> Solar provided me with 2 tar balls to compile, one with fork the other
> without

Actually, the newer version simply has --fork disabled on Cygwin by
default, but you may trivially re-enable it in os.h - I thought you would.

> (both severely limited formats to choose from).

You're spoiled by jumbo. ;-)

> Start john fork=3 (or anything greater than 2)
> crack some passes, nothing in the pot even after 5 minutes and plenty of
> cracks.

5 minutes is definitely not enough (need 10 minutes or more, given
default "Save = ..." setting), and "plenty" is not specific.  For your
testing, please set "Save = 10" in john.conf - then you'll expect pot
and log file updates every 10 seconds.  (By default it's every 10
minutes.)

It does indeed appear that there are problems, but I think that some of
them are just misunderstanding on what the expected behavior is.

Thanks,

Alexander