Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 23:49:02 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --make-charset in latest core

On 3 May, 2013, at 23:01 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Can you try to trigger the problem with fewer plaintexts and/or with
> those I'd have as well - so that I could experiment with this too?
>
> This may well be a bug in my code.

Here's a procedure on Bull that you should be able to replicate more or less exactly ("master" means "latest core CVS" here):

magnum@...l:src [bleeding-jumbo]$ git checkout -f origin/master -b master
Branch master set up to track remote branch master from origin.
Switched to a new branch 'master'
magnum@...l:src [master]$ make -s clean
magnum@...l:src [master]$ make -sj linux-x86-64
magnum@...l:src [master]$ sed 's/^/:/' < ~magnum/rockyou.ansi.dlst >../run/john.pot
magnum@...l:src [master]$ ../run/john --make-charset=../run/all.chr
Loaded 32596402 plaintexts
Remaining 32596062 plaintexts
Generating charsets........................ DONE
Generating cracking order..---------------------------------------------++-----------++----- Stable order (67 recalculations)
Successfully wrote charset file: ../run/all.chr (208 characters)
magnum@...l:src [master]$ ../run/john -inc -stdout | head
Incorrect charset file format: $JOHN/all.chr

AFAIK I did the exact same thing back in April 27, and that file still works fine.

charset.[ch] are unchanged since. The last core commit at that time was was "Source code indentation: consistently put the blocks after "if" on a new line".

...OK: In fact, if I revert to that very commit, it works fine!

magnum@...l:src [master]$ git checkout 116ea89672e58370d21669d057f4f921b2c37044
Note: checking out '116ea89672e58370d21669d057f4f921b2c37044'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

  git checkout -b new_branch_name

HEAD is now at 116ea89... Have single_add_key() call single_process_buffer() on its own, don't leave that for the caller.
magnum@...l:src [(116ea89...)]$ make -s clean && make -sj linux-x86-64
magnum@...l:src [(116ea89...)]$ ../run/john --make-charset=../run/all.chr
Loaded 32596402 plaintexts
Remaining 32596062 plaintexts
Generating charsets........................ DONE
Generating cracking order..---------------------------------------------++-----------++----- Stable order (67 recalculations)
Successfully wrote charset file: ../run/all.chr (208 characters)
magnum@...l:src [(116ea89...)]$ ../run/john -inc -stdout | head
me

1
mj