Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 15:44:04 +0200
From: Smiling Wolf <lupo996@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Paths rework

2013/5/2 magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>:
> On 1 May, 2013, at 16:23 , D A <lupo996@...il.com> wrote:
>> Everything in charge of converting a fileformat to a john-compatible
>> format has been moved to $JOHN/run/xyz2john
>> The others misc utils and scripts have been moved to $JOHN/run/utils
>
> This could pose a problem for JOHN_SYSTEMWIDE builds. And it has the disadvantage that if you want John & co. in your path, there are now three directories to add. Personally I don't put it in my path but I'm used to supply the path or work from the run directory (so "./john"). Having to use three different paths will be a nuisance, at least to me.

I've quickly put together a bash script (attached) which uses find to
locate a program supplied as the first argument and then executes it
with the second argument supplied to the script. It's really trivial,
but it works.

$ ./john_expose netscreen.py "SmilingWolf passwd"
SmilingWolf:SmilingWolf$nOpSBvrZGqxGc4sJTsgBM/DtIyI8Vn

Actually, netscreen.py in in the utils/ directory.

>> I am working on the bleeding-jumbo branch to be sure to catch every new commit.
>> Magnum suggested to discuss these changes on john-dev, so here I am :)
>
> Yes, so what does everyone think?

BTW, in the meantime I've renamed xyz2john/ to converters/ as
suggested by rofl0r, and assigned the new directories (utils and
converters) to two variables in the Makefile in order to make it
easier to change them with one easy edit.

Download attachment "john_expose" of type "application/octet-stream" (63 bytes)