Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:40:02 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --fork

On 30 Apr, 2013, at 17:26 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 04:41:45PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> Speaking of that, I have plenty of these in bleeding:
>>
>> +#if HAVE_MPI
>> +	if (mpi_id == 1)
>> +#endif
>> 	printf("Something (often with unchanged indentation)");
>
> Yes.  It's now called john_main_process, defined in john.h.  I had
> committed this shortly before you wrote the message quoted above. ;-)
>
>> Will you do something like that in code? If so, I'll just drop my MPI stuff.
>
> It may be slightly more complicated because (I think) MPI needs more
> messages muted than --fork does.  --fork creates new processes after the
> hashes have been loaded, so the only error messages are from cracking
> modes and such.  With MPI, they're also from the loader, from c3_fmt.c's
> valid(), etc.  Well, john_main_process is set to 1 before we reach
> john_fork(), so perhaps you can just check it in the loader, etc. - this
> will be a no-op for --fork, but will do what's desired for MPI.

Until now, all MPI nodes except the root node has been closing stdout, so only stderr stuff needed muting. Maybe I could/should revise this or maybe that is a good thing. One non-ideal effect of that was that I had to output cracked passwords to stderr instead of stdout.

> BTW, we should only mute messages that we're almost certain will be the
> same for all processes.  In jumbo, you're also muting e.g. the
> "Invalid rule ..." message in rules.c, which I think is wrong, because
> this error might not be seen by the main process (MPI root node).  There
> might be more instances of this problem.

Yes, I'll revise that when at it. Actually I think I'll just drop most old such stuff before merging (a lot less clashes then). And afterwards I can re-add some as needed.

magnum