Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 19:48:45 -0400
From: Erik Winkler <ewinkler@...ls.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: krb5-23 Format Failure in Latest Unstable Jumbo on MacOSX

On Apr 29, 2013, at 2:47 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, this is known. I can't find any problem in the code and I have started to think it's actually a bug in OSX' Heimdal version of libkrb.
>
> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/270
>
> Actually, I haven't ever seen the problem when using --format=krb5-23, only when running a full --test. I get it with or without OMP but it's intermittent. When faced with the debugger, the coward bug crawled back under its stone until I gave up.
>
> magnum

Yes, it looks like a libkrb OSX bug.  I compiled it with static krb5-1.11.2 and there was no error, even running full test.  Quite a bit faster as well.

Static libkrb5:

Benchmarking: Kerberos 5 db etype 23 rc4-hmac [32/64]... (2xOMP) DONE
Raw:	2233K c/s real, 1314K c/s virtual

MacOSX KRB5 library:

Benchmarking: Kerberos 5 db etype 23 rc4-hmac [32/64]... DONE
Raw:	538801 c/s real, 538801 c/s virtual

Erik