Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 02:33:12 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: revised incremental mode and charset files

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:06:41PM +0400, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> There is an asymmetry in a number of password generated in some cases.
> Is it expected?

Yes.  (It is more of a property of the --node implementation for
incremental mode than a property of the revised incremental mode.)

As magnum pointed out, this is less of a problem with longer runs.
Only their endgame is affected, which may/should be never reached.

There's also a problem with large node counts, though - e.g., if you
need to limit an incremental run to just one password length, and you
have 100 nodes, you might not be able to put all of the nodes to use for
this run (some will terminate too soon).

I want(ed) to address both of these (by distributing work for portions
of one incremental mode order table entry, rather than distributing
entries as is done now), but it appears that I'll have to postpone that
for after 1.8.

Alexander