Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 23:00:17 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: enhanced status reporting

On 28 Apr, 2013, at 22:09 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 05:59:04PM +0200, magnum wrote:

>>> I'm trying but status.c is a real challenge. It will take some time.
>>
>> Merged now, but may not be 100% yet.
>
> Thank you!  I did not review the (merged) code, but it worked fine in
> the few tests I ran.

Yes, I'm starting to think it's OK. The dropped MPI code mostly just has the effect that when several nodes print status at once, their output may become interleaved to an unreadable mess. To mitigate that, you need to print all of a line including the '\n' in one call to printf or puts.

Another issue is that Jumbo's output can be very long, with decimal percent-done and the ETA string. I have mitigated it a little by defaulting to ISO-8601 time format in john.conf. Maybe we should try to find more ways, like omitting date if it is within 24h and so on.

>> I dropped the MPI-specific stuff for now.
>
> OK.  I am going to push out more changes that would clash with the MPI
> support in jumbo anyway. ;-)  I'd appreciate your help merging those as
> well (once they're in the public CVS).

Sure, as soon as I see it. I will wait with re-adding MPI-specific code to status.c until things have settled. MPI stuff in the rest of the tree is simple and isolated so shouldn't be much trouble.

magnum