Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 04:14:22 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: revised incremental mode and charset files

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 01:27:22AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> Seriously though, we could add one to bleeding. We'll end up with a lot of things on the menu but maybe that is just a good thing. What do you (all) say?

I have some thoughts on the matter, but I have no time for a discussion
right now.  One of the aspects I am going to consider is download size
of the tarball that will include at least some of the .chr files for
which we provide john.conf sections.  For example, for all.chr or maybe
ascii.chr (hey, I independently thought of this name!), I may apply a
filter() which limits the length to 15 and charset to the 95 ASCII chars.
The resulting file (from RockYou) is 6 MB.  Without the limits, and with
the compile-time CHARSET_LENGTH of 24, it is 9 MB.  Those extra 3 MB are
mostly useless data.  For digits.chr, though, I am going to leave it
without stricter length limits, so it'll go up to length 24.

Another option is to provide a separate tarball with .chr files - all of
them? or just extras?  I think a basic set of RockYou-based charset
files may be about 10 MB compressed, but a full set about 40 MB or more.

Alexander