Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 12:53:54 +0400
From: Alexander Cherepanov <cherepan@...me.ru>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: revised incremental mode and charset files

On 2013-04-28 05:50, magnum wrote:
>> If the file is specifically for cp1252, maybe just call it cp1252.chr?
>> I wouldn't have the question then. :-)
>
> 99.1415927% of John users would not have the slightest clue what that means. This is why I start to think Latin1 is a very good name. Let's call it latin1.chr and -inc=latin1. Although personally I'm still fine with ansi. Not that it's good (it's horrible) but it has some legacy meaning.

The problem with ansi is that your ansi (cp1252) is not my ansi
(cp1251). So it's better to avoid this name unless you do something
common for all Windows code pages. What you did with RockYou seems to be
quite specific to cp1252.

Another option is to use windows-1252. It's more widespread in some
contexts (and Wikipedia redirect cp1252 to it) but it's longer and
contains a hyphen.

--
Alexander Cherepanov