Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:27:36 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: revised incremental mode and charset files (was: Bleeding-jumbo branch updated from core)

On 26 Apr, 2013, at 22:16 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> There was significant performance hit and memory usage increase from the
> increase of either CHARSET_SIZE or CHARSET_LENGTH, let alone both.  I've
> implemented changes to reduce the impact of the increase of these
> settings greatly.  Now there's still a memory usage increase, but it's
> not as bad, and the performance hit is almost eliminated.

Excellent, I was just going to report I saw performance loss from bumping either so I was worried we'd have to use shorter length.

BTW I did some really quick'n'dirty tests comparing unstable and bleeding at exact same conditions (0x7e and 15, trained from rockyou and attacking a real dataset of 70,000 raw-md5 hashes for 60 seconds). Unstable was 1.5% faster in terms of c/s but bleeding cracked 2.5% more passwords despite that, from picking better candidates earlier. And that was before these latest changes :-)

magnum