Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 03:56:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU support under Windows

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 01:41:30AM +0200, D?niel Bali wrote:
> Using -lOpenCL helped. Then I tested if my cygwin is capable of compiling
> the AMD sample programs and fortunately it is.

Have you also tested that the existing non-GPU win32-cygwin-x86-sse2
make target works for you?  If not yet, please test it.  If it fails for
you, then please debug that before approaching the GPU task.

> $(CP) x86-any.h arch.h

x86-any is for ancient CPUs (prior to year 2000, really).  While it
shouldn't necessarily cause any problems (other than poor speed with
many of the JtR formats), you should be basing your GPU target on
win32-cygwin-x86-sse2 instead.  Similarly, -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
would be wrong (it assumes non-use of MMX, etc., which is only
reasonable in the -x86-any target for ancient CPUs).

> The error I get is:
>  opencl_wpapsk_fmt.o:opencl_wpapsk_fmt.c:(.text+0x20ad): undefined
> reference to `_alter_endianity'
>
> So alter_endianity isn't defined. After looking at memory.h I found that
> one of these flags are needed: MMX_COEF, NT_X86_64, MD5_SSE_PARA,
> MD4_SSE_PARA.

Quite possibly we did not test bleeding-jumbo with -x86-any targets
lately.  We should do so before we make a release based on this branch.

For your work, just base your new make target on -x86-sse2 and this
problem should be gone.

> I believe enabling GPU support for Windows is a process that is going to
> involve a lot of error tracking and I really don't want to bother you with
> every step,

Please feel free to post about your progress often.  You just may not
expect the rest of us to comment each time. ;-)

> so I would like to know if there is a part of the documentation
> (or any resource) that would be of interest to me.

I'm afraid not.

Alexander