Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 00:13:15 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gpg2john (was: Work needed before Jumbo-8)

2013/3/12 magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>:
> On 12 Mar, 2013, at 4:01 , Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com> wrote:
>> Sometimes encoded file may contain additional info about user (packet
>> type 13), it looks like that:
>>
>> Old: User ID Packet(tag 13)(47 bytes)
>>        User ID - Random User (Just for test) <random@...dom.com>
> This is not a blocker for Jumbo-8 but it would be excellent if someone can fix it: We should definitely try to find this UserID field and put in the GECOS field of our output (as is - it's stored as one string and it's not trivial to split it canonically).

I am working on it now and I would like to hear what do you think about that.

According to RFC4880:
5.11.  User ID Packet (Tag 13)

   A User ID packet consists of UTF-8 text that is intended to represent
   the name and email address of the key holder.  By convention, it
   includes an RFC 2822 [RFC2822] mail name-addr, but there are no
   restrictions on its content.  The packet length in the header
   specifies the length of the User ID.

GNU GPG seems to use the following format: USER NAME (COMMENT) <EMAIL>
What is worse:
a) thowing all that to gecos without any changes
b) trying to make extracted data more usefull "Random User Just for
test random" instead of "Random User (Just for test)
<random@...dom.com>"

None of above is good.

Lukas