Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 04:47:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: licensing

Hi,

I've attached two files:

john-1.7.9-jumbo-7-licensing-stats.txt
john-1.7.9-jumbo-7-licensing.txt

The stats file gives some grep commands to run on the lengthy licensing
file.  It also gives these statistics:

474 files were reviewed for their licensing terms.

324 may be reusable in non-GPL'ed software (either are copyrighted by
Solar, so can be relicensed by Solar, or are released to the general
public under sufficiently relaxed terms).  This includes 5 files under
MPL 1.1 and 1 under LGPL 2.1 - these 6 are only reusable if conditions
of the respective licenses are met.

magnum, I think these two text files are reasonable to be committed into
the tree, under doc/ - what do you think?  Since they pertain
specifically to 1.7.9-jumbo-7, I think the filenames referring to this
version should be kept.  We may then create and maintain similar files
pertaining to the current version(s), including the development tree,
although it is a moving target.  Needing to add each new source file to
the licensing file may improve our licensing discipline, and maybe help
avoid unnecessarily GPL'ing of new source files (although this will need
to be explained somewhere, including why and how).

I will also post a separate message with the not-yet-posted portion of
the licensing file (for src/), for easy quoting of individual lines in
replies (I hope the contributors will help clarify some issues).

Alexander

View attachment "john-1.7.9-jumbo-7-licensing-stats.txt" of type "text/plain" (1667 bytes)

View attachment "john-1.7.9-jumbo-7-licensing.txt" of type "text/plain" (54695 bytes)