Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 17:20:26 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GSOC 2013 "Low Level GPU Programming"

Hi Junaid,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 11:08:56AM +0500, Muhammad Junaid Muzammil wrote:
> I do have some Heterogeneous parallel programming experience. Mostly I have
> done the programming over CUDA, although I am confident that I will adapt
> my self for the OpenCL. The programming model is same for OpenCL as CUDA,
> mostly the difference lies in the syntax.

The "low-level GPU programming" task assumes that you'd experiment with
ways to program or at least analyze code at a level below OpenCL, so
you'd need to learn lower-level tools, maybe develop some of your own,
and at least read and understand IL and/or native ISA code generated
from OpenCL, and better yet generate, write, or/and modify such code
(including possibly by patching the binary code at runtime - on host
system is OK, no need for self-modifying code inside the GPU yet).

I'm afraid that your experience with CUDA only is insufficient for you
to quickly enough demonstrate extraordinary ability to grasp this new
topic.  You would have to demonstrate such ability before the GSoC
student selection deadline.  That said, you may try anyway, and if you
miss the deadline, but do show impressive results later, we'd be happy
to work with you outside of the GSoC program.

> I want to know how the development would be validated? Should the student
> have the necessary AMD GPU hardware with them for validation?

We may provide remote access to a machine with an HD 7970, including
before and regardless of GSoC student selection - please let me know
off-list if you're interested.  I recommend that you also purchase at
least a cheap AMD GPU - e.g., 6770 is reasonably good and is only $100 -
although for ISA-level analysis/programming/patching we'd focus on GCN,
which means at least 7750 (also inexpensive).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Southern_Islands_.28HD_7xxx.29_Series

Alexander