Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 01:54:21 +0400
From: Alexander Cherepanov <cherepan@...me.ru>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Endianity in input files

On 2013-04-16 23:12, magnum wrote:
> On 16 Apr, 2013, at 19:55 , Alexander Cherepanov<cherepan@...me.ru>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Ouch.  I am not surprised, though.

>>> I agree.

>>> Maybe we need to introduce new/revised $-prefixes for the affected
>>> formats, to indicate that they're now reliably LE.  Print a warning for
>>> the old ones.
>>
>> If $-prefixes are to be revised maybe they could be simplified at the same time.

s/they/hashes/

> Anything specific in mind?

Mainly I thought about cases where fields inside a hash are separated by
a char but lengths are also recorded for some fields. This is redundant,
makes valid more complex and doesn't really simplify get_salt and co.
Also lengths are sometimes recorded in decimal (dmg, gpg, etc.) and
sometimes in hexadecimal (pkzip).

Another old idea is to use base64 instead of hex. This will make hashes
1.5 times shorter. And this shouldn't make decoding harder if special
functions are used.

> This could be a good opportunity to drop the first, redundant, '*'. It occurs in all or nearly all of Dhiru's formats.
>
> $zip$*0*1*8005b1b7d077708d*dee4 - old, machine-endian last field
> $zip$0*1*8005b1b7d077708d*dee4  - new, little-endian last field

Yes, this begs to be fixed and is ideal to differentiate the new format
from the old one.

And the whole ides of using two different delimiters ($ and *) seems
questionable.

--
Alexander Cherepanov