Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:21:50 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Segfaults probably caused by DEBUG code in memory.c (was: Segfault for linux-x86-native with -DDEBUG added)

From: magnum Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 15:05
>> #if DEBUG
>> #undef MEM_ALLOC_SIZE
>> #define MEM_ALLOC_SIZE 0
>> #endif
>>
>> I think you would have gotten the same results.  NOTE I have not
>> tested that hypothesis at all.
>
>Probably also true, but I won't try it cause it will be slightly slower :-)

Worked fine. Speed difference does not matter, and it is in DEBUG mode
anyway, so that should not be an impact, if the code runs 'fast enough'.
Also, using the #define MEM_ALLOC_SIZE 0 forces the original function to
also still be used. Now, a large part of that function will not be tested at
all, since buffer will never get set to anything other than NULL, but it
would have avoided the original 'crash' issue totally, by continuing to use
code that was working.

Jim.