Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 02:28:39 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: testing all valid()s

On 11 Apr, 2013, at 0:55 , Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> For linux-x86-native (Atom CPU), these 3 formats crash with the attached
> file:
>
> dynamic_21, salted-sha1, crypt
>
> for f in dynamic_21 salted-sha1 crypt; do
> ./john --max-run-time=1 --format=$f crash; echo $?; echo $f;
> done
>
> I was using
> for f in `./john --list=format-details |cut -f 1`
> But those 3 formats were the only ones that crashed on my system.

I tried just './john crash' and it died in thin mediawiki. It gladly over-ran its conversion buffer with any amount of data. I fixed all thin formats for similar bugs (only PIX lacked the bug).

With a full for loop as above (including all GPU formats), I see these crashes (crypt is fine):
dynamic_15
dynamic_21
dynamic_35
dynamic_36
dynamic_37
wowsrp
salted-sha1
sip

Surprisingly the GPU formats had no bugs caught by this file.

I'll leave the dynamics to Jim but I'll have a look at the other three.

magnum