Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 00:13:01 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Python port of dmg2john utility

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 09:27:36PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> On 3 Apr, 2013, at 19:29 , Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com> wrote:
> > I am attaching Python port of dmg2john utility for review.
> >
> > If everything seems to be OK, I will open a pull request.
>
> I suppose you had reasons so I'm fine with that, except I refuse to learn Python so I can't review it. I believe Solar would prefer things getting ported *from* python and not the other way round :-)

This started with an off-list request from me to Dhiru to develop either
a script version of dmg2john, or a script that could provide us with
sufficient input for a revision of dmg2john while not revealing the dmg
file's more sensitive content.  This is to allow for usage of our tools
to provide password recovery services (free or paid, doesn't matter).
dmg files themselves are generally too large and too sensitive to be
delivered to a password recovery service provider, and our C version of
dmg2john would either need to be provided as a compiled program binary,
or would require to be built from source by the customer (cumbersome).

I suggested that this would be a shell (with dd) or Perl script, but
Dhiru chose Python, pointing out that OS X had Python included for very
long.  While I would have preferred shell or Perl, I am fine with
Dhiru's choice here, as it seems to satisfy the use case above.

> We should at least keep dmg2john.c in "unused".

We should keep it in the main tree, and built by default.  The Python
alternative is not meant to replace the C program.

Alexander