Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 01:32:54 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Building unstable jumbo failed

$ make linux-x86-native > /dev/null
crawSHA1_ng_fmt.c:559:3: warning: #warning not using optimized sse4.1
compare because -msse4 was not specified [-Wcpp]
make[1]: g++: Command not found
make[1]: *** [gpg2john] Error 127
make: *** [linux-x86-native] Error 2

Before jumbo-8 gets released, we might need to document the new
dependency, unless someone rewrites the C++ implementations in C ;)

On Fedora, I had to install the gcc-c++ (C++ for GCC)
The other package, libstdc++-devel has already been installed as a
dependency of clang.

What about using ($CC) instead of gcc and defining CPLUSPLUS in the
Makefile, instead of hard coding g++ when building *2john tools?
Something like the attached patch?
(I don't know how CPLUSPLUS needs to be defined for CC=cc, CC=ccc,
CC=icc. So I just fixed the gcc/clang cases.)

I also wonder whether we should reuse ($CFLAGS) instead of using -Wall
or --Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement

Frank

View attachment "Makefile.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (4033 bytes)