Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 19:05:44 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cisco - Password type 4 - SHA256

On 18 Mar, 2013, at 14:08 , Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com> wrote:
> Em 17-03-2013 07:22, Claudio André escreveu:
>> Em 16-03-2013 15:07, Vlatko Kosturjak escreveu:
>>> Thanks. Will try implement mentioned speedup.
>>>
>>> In the meantime, here's the simple working Perl implementation if
>>> there's any interest:
>>> https://gist.github.com/kost/5177541
>>>
>>> BR,
>>
>> While at it, please consider giving advices (also) to:
>> - https://github.com/claudioandre/JohnTheRipper/commit/c58597e1be8d88d5002c4bfb8aa00a49bfe2c745
>> - https://github.com/claudioandre/JohnTheRipper/commit/6d10106e7b0924838411467337507a7746142f12
>>

> Hi, if you are having problems looking at previous patches (above), i attach a new one (easier to deal but might harder to follow/understand).
>
> Notice: it contains part of commit (7ac5b370) and i'm not sure if it is the right thing to do.

Do you mean the FMT_SPLIT_UNIFIES_CASE? That flag should be set if (and only if) your format has a split() that returns the ciphertext with case unified (to lower or upper, I think we normally use lower). So the raw format with hex encoding could/should unify case while the Cisco version must not do that (since it would ruin the base64).

The reason for unifying is so John can recognize that a hex hash of DEAD3137CAFE is cracked even though the pot file has it as dead3137cafe.

magnum