Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 01:41:05 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: All *2john programs should use basename of filename when put as ?login? field

On 18 Mar, 2013, at 1:21 , Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com> wrote:
> 2013/3/18 magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>:
>> On 18 Mar, 2013, at 0:48 , Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com> wrote:
>>> Now I am not really sure about misc.c.
>>> We might need get_basename() in .c and .cpp files.
>>> misc.c would be ok for C files but compiling it for C and CPP it makes a mess.
>>> Now we have only 2cpp files I could live with copies of this function there.
>>
>> I think we can wrap all of misc.h as in the enclosed patch, and everything will be sweet. Is that not the case?
>
> This could help a bit but still we will have this type of problems:
> 1) some other stuff is needed to compile file, but here we could just
> add -D_JOHN_MISC_NO_LOG to Makefile

That will result in a misc.o not suitable for next build of john - or if misc.o already existed, it might not be built with -D_JOHN_MISC_NO_LOG. A better alternative is to make gpg2john a symlink to john just like many others.

> 2) C-strings vs CPP strings

Not sure I understand. Maybe you should just add a separate get_basename.cpp file then. Ideally we should port all C++ files to C.

> Currently I am working on C files, I just made this changes it
> compiles cleanly but I need to get some test data.
> If you guys have something on your hdd that you used to test utils
> please post it.
>
> Lukas
> <get_basename-r0.diff>

    strnzcpy(retmem, base, retsize < 256 ? retsize : 256);

The ternary is not needed. Just use

    strnzcpy(retmem, base, sizeof(retmem));

magnum